Before sitting down to share my thoughts on Standard Manufacturing’s DP-12 double barreled shotgun, I wanted to let the concept and what I experienced at SHOT seep in a little, but after much thought I have to say that as well designed and manufactures as the DP-12 is, I’m compelled to describe the concept as a solution waiting on a problem!
The DP-12 finds itself competing with KelTec’s KSG which is shorter in overall length at just over 26 inches, has a dual magazine tube with a capacity of 6+6+1, a full length rail, bullpup design but lists at an M.S.R.P. of $990. So, the DP-12’s only real advantage over the KSG is in the follow up shot. The DP-12 chambers a shell in both barrels with each pump and is fired by two presses of the trigger. Furthermore, until both barrels are fired the operator is prevented from pumping or cycling the action so if you’re not used to the double trigger pull you may find yourself trying to pump the shotgun after the first shot with no success The basic DP-12 configuration sells for $1395 with other models selling upwards of $1,700.
Standard Manufacturing is positioning the DP-12 in the very competitive, but very lucrative tactical space, but there it finds very stiff competition from Remington and Mossberg; for example, the Remington Model 870 Express7-round tactical shotgun which sell for about $400 in its synthetic stock configuration.
Lastly, I don’t know of very many experienced shooters that would pass on an $1,800 Benelli M4 for a decked out $1700 DP-12.
The DP-12 is an excellent gun, don’t get me wrong on that point, but its philosophy of use is of questionable value based on my needs and my experience. If you like the uncommon, you will definitely have some fun with the DP-12; it has all of the features of an excellent gun with excellent ergonomics.
On the safety side of things, be sure that you follow the operators instructions for clearing the weapon. Remember that you have a second chamber to be cognizant of.
Specifications and Features:
* 12 Gauge
* Fires 2 3/4 or 3″ shells
* Two 18 7/8″ barrels
* 29.5″ overall length
* Unloaded weight is 9 pounds 12 ounces
* 16 Round capacity, 14 rounds in the magazines and two rounds in the chamber
* Two shots with each pump
* Single trigger
* Machined from aircraft grade 7075 aluminum
* Thermal coated receiver
* Inline feeding
* Ambidextrous safety
* Ambidextrous pump slide release
* Two Picatinny rails for accessories; seven slot rail on the bottom by the foregrip and a 13.75″ 34 slot rail on top
* Co-Molded non-slip rubber grip
* Slots to attach MOE rails
* Shell indicator window
* Shock absorbing spring loaded recoil mechanism
* Synthetic stock
* Rubber recoil pad with dual spring loaded recoil
* Both barrels include spreader choke tubes with Tru-Choke thread pattern
* Choke tube wrench
* Heavy duty lock
* Instruction booklet and warranty card
* Composite foregrip
* Front sling attachment
* Sling swivel attachment on stock
* Ergonomically designed to balance the weight of a loaded gun for quick and efficient handling with minimal recoil