Here are some tips from Emil Praslick to help you get started in becoming a better wind reader.
1) Learn how to determine the wind directions down range. Notice that was plural? When we talk about ELR Shooting, we are talking about shooting across different wind patterns in some instances. Fortunately though, the mirage does something beneficial for us here. The mirage actually gives you an idea of the combined wind value to the target, which provides you a good idea of the total wind value. In the video this week, Emil Praslick teaches you how to use your optics to take advantage of this.
2) Practice often. Wind reading is a skill, and like any other skill if you do not exercise it then that skill will diminish. You do not have to be shooting to practice wind reading. You can do this in any parking lot, when you check the mail, or daily when you walk in to work. The best time to practice is when you are someplace unfamiliar. The benefit of this is that you can do this daily, and it won’t take more than 30 seconds of your time. Simply observe your surroundings, take an estimate at what you believe the average wind and gusting wind to be. Then take a reading with your Kestrel Elite and see how close you got. Do this for a couple weeks and you will see a noticeable improvement in your wind reading skills.
3) Make the first shot count. Log it, digest it, think about it. Once you fire a single shot down range, you have gathered a ton of data, making the second shot much easier. The first shot is a significant indicator of how well you were able to judge the wind. So take note of it, and log your first shot performance over time. This will show you how well you are doing, or if you need more practice.
- ECA GROUP reaches another milestone to manufacture drones in Belgium for the MCM program of the Belgian Navy and the Royal Netherlands Navy
- READY FOR THE BACKYARD, FIT FOR THE LOUNGE. THE 1500 CIGAR CUTTER
- PRIMARY ARMS OPTICS EARNS 6 NEW RECOMMENDED RATINGS BY NATIONAL TACTICAL OFFICERS ASSOCIATION
- Gorilla Grip Gloves, Now Available in Walmart and Academy Sports.
- Browning Arms Company, FN America Contribute $50,000 to NSSF’s 2020 #GUNVOTE Voter Education Campaign