Mumbai, India, 16 October 2018 – The Indian Navy and HENSOLDT took a new Periscope
Repair Facility at Naval Dockyard Mumbai, India into commission. Vice Admiral Girish Luthra,
Flag Officer Commanding in Chief, Western Naval Command inaugurated the facility at the official
opening ceremony. The facility was contracted by the Indian Ministry of Defence to increase the
operational availability of the Indian SSK submarines.
With state-of-the-art Reference Test Units, an Electronic Workshop and a Pressure Test Unit
amongst other special equipment, the facility will augment the Indian Navy’s capability to
undertake indigenous repairs of the periscopes fitted on board their submarines.
“When a product requires service and repair, a lot of time is lost during the transportation between the Indian Navy and the OEM. Now the maintenance work can be done locally, which will speedup the process and enhance the operational readiness of the Indian fleet”, said Klaus
Rettenmaier, Director Product Line Naval at HENSOLDT Optronics.
The establishment of the periscope workshop and the training of maintenance technicians from
the Indian Navy are a continuation of the core business of the Optronics business line of
HENSOLDT. Based on the enormous success in the field of periscopes and optronic mast
systems in past years, this is a first step in India in establishing a service capability for future naval opportunities. In the implementation, HENSOLDT partnered with local Tata Consultancy Services and H&H Precision Pvt Ltd.
Overall, there is a trend in submarine markets for local maintenance authorities to strengthen the
operational availability of the systems. HENSOLDT has previously established periscope
workshops for several other countries.
- SIG KILO2400BDX Laser Range Finder
- Morphix Technologies to Virtually Exhibit at 2020 International Hazardous Materials Response Team
- ECA Group selects UAV SKELDAR V-200 for the Belgium-Royal Dutch Navies program
- AeroVironment, Inc. Press Release – AeroVironment Receives $21 Million Initial Contract Option for Raven Radio Frequency Modifications Under Previously Awarded U.S. Army Contract with Potential $55 Million Total Value
- Viridian® Launches Grip Lasers for all North American Arms® .22 Mag Revolvers