Some of the coolest people you’ll ever want to meet were the XS Sights team at Shot Show 2020. XS Sights has been producing some of the most combat effective night sights on the market. The company has also been licensed to manufacture and sell tritium inserts, a service they make available to other manufacturers. The company’s focus since its inception has been on producing quality sights that provide rapid target acquisition for law enforcement.
For 2020, this Fort Worth, TX, company has announced a number of very exciting offerings.
F8 Night Sights: these are the newest high-visibility personal defense sights for fast target acquisition in all light conditions. The sight features a figure-eight, inline sight picture for an easy two-point alignment, the F8 sights are designed to instantly increase front sight focus thanks to the large (0.160” wide) high-contrast front sight with a photoluminescent orange colored ring surrounding the tritium. This proprietary, durable XS Orange paint is formulated with a focus on yellow, one of the most visible colors in low light, making it easier to see in rapidly changing light conditions.
DXT2 Big Dot Night Sights: the new DXT2™ Big Dot® Night Sights provide exceptional front sight visibility in all lighting conditions, and they’re available in two colors – Optic Yellow™ and Optic Orange™. The DXT2 Big Dot sights drive eye focus to the front sight (and thus to the downrange threat) using a large, high-contrast front and a V-notch rear sight for an unobstructed view of the front sight. The Big Dot front sights use a patent-pending colored glow dot that absorbs light, causing the sight to glow before it is dark enough to see the tritium center. The glow dot also stores energy enabling it to glow brightly for many hours. The V-notch rear sight features a vertical white stripe with a tritium vial at the center, creating a dot-the- “i” sight picture for fast and accurate target acquisition in high-stress situations.
The wide notch rear sight is designed to increase the visibility of the front sight by allowing more light around the sides of the front sight. This expanded sight gap helps shooters find the front sight faster when drawing from a holster and shooting on the move. The tritium vial on the rear sight enables quick and easy alignment with the front sight in various light conditions while the chamfered notch eliminates the bottom edges of the sight, drawing focus to the top edges of the sight for proper alignment.
3. 3-Dot RAM Night Sights: the RAM™ Night Sights are the brightest sight options for fast and accurate shooting in bright and low light conditions; making them ideal for law enforcement application.
The RAM (radioactive material) night sights have a traditional 3-dot tritium, notch and post sight picture. The rear sight is blacked out to increase contrast against the front sight which is available in bright orange or green. The front sight features XS’s proprietary Ember™ Glow Dot technology which absorbs ambient light and glows in low light. The front tritium lamp in the RAM sight charges the Ember Glow Dot, making the front sight glow brighter than the rear, keeping eye focus down range.
RAM Night Sights were designed to overcome three common issues with 3-dot tritium sights:
1. Confusing the front dot with one of the rear sight dots when under stress
2. The 2-dot tritium rear sight glowing brighter than the front sight drawing the eyes there instead of towards the downrange threat.
3. Tight sight pictures – RAM Night Sights use a notch that is 15% wider than the front sight, allowing more visible light around the front sight. This makes it easier to see the front sight in changing light conditions and when shooting on the move, aiding in sight alignment and increasing accuracy.
4. XTI2 DXS Ember Standard Dot Offset Iron Sights: XS XTI2 sights are a close-quarters, secondary sighting solution for a fast sight transition from a magnified primary optic. XTI2 sights reduce target engagement time and eliminate magnification adjustment. Our second generation XTI’s feature taller bases for easy sight alignment, without having to break a standard cheek weld. Additionally, the base angle has been increased to accommodate wider lens optics. The front sight measures 0.140″ wide and now feature an Orange Ember Glow Dot. The straight-line express sight picture makes XTI2’s ideal for rapid sight acquisition and close target shooting.
The XTI2 DXS Offset Iron Sights are available for preorder at Brownells and other retailers. I had the opportunity to shoulder a weapon and experience these offset irons; they are easy to transition to and very quick.