For immediate release | September 21, 2021
NSSF Releases 2021 Research Reports Providing Valuable Data for Firearm Retailers and Other Industry Businesses
NEWTOWN, Conn. – NSSF®, the trade association for the firearm industry, has announced a listing of industry research reports issued from January through August of this year that can help industry members, particularly firearm retailers, better understand buying trends across the nation and access data that can assist in developing marketing strategies.
“These NSSF research reports will help industry businesses gain insights into their customers’ motivations for purchasing firearms and their participation in recreational shooting,” said Dianne Vrablic, NSSF Manager, Industry Research. “We’ve seen extraordinary market activity in the firearm industry in the last few years, including millions of first-time gun purchasers. Americans are exercising their right to purchase and use firearms at an unprecedented level, and NSSF research can help industry better understand these trends.”
NSSF reports offered in the last nine months and now available are . . .
· Firearms Retailer Survey 2021 Edition (conducted by Southwick Associates) — A report based on a survey of retailers during 2020 that identifies best-selling products and who is buying them. The survey allows retailers to compare their business to that of other gun stores across the country. Among the survey’s findings is that 85.6 percent of retailers surveyed reported overall sales in 2020 exceeded sales from 2019.
· 2020 Firearms Consumer Personas, Phase I Report (by Southwick Associates) — This update to the original 2016 consumer segmentation study of firearm owners helps firearm retailers understand their customers’ core needs and motivations. The data is valuable for planning marketing strategies to appeal to any or all of the five different types of buyer personas, their priorities and interests.
· Sport Shooting Participation in the U.S. in 2020 (developed by Responsive Management) — This report provides regional and national participation figures for a variety of recreational shooting activities in 2020. Among its findings is that the rate of participation in nearly every shooting activity was higher in 2020 than in any other year. NSSF encourages its members to attend a webinar from Responsive Management this fall presenting findings from the study.
· NSGA Shooting Sports Participation Report 2021 Edition (by the National Sporting Goods Association for NSSF)—This report provides a detailed look at a variety of hunting and shooting sports disciplines with demographic breakdowns, frequency and number of days of participation, and state-level participation figures. Among its findings: hunting with firearms increased from 17.2 million to 18.3 million participants.
· First-Time Gun Buyers 2021 Edition (conducted for the NSSF by InfoManiacs, Inc.)—To discover motivations for the first purchase of a firearm and what type of firearms were purchased, NSSF conducted research in December 2020 with consumers aged 18 or older who purchased their first firearm in 2019 or 2020. Among the findings, the top-ranking factors for first-time gun purchases are home protection and self-defense (both 80.3 percent) and also to get involved in shooting sports activities.
NSSF research reports are available via the NSSF Online Store. NSSF members will need to log in to access member pricing. The 2020 Firearms Consumer Personas, Phase I Report is free of charge. Non-members may obtain the free 2020 Firearms Consumer Personas four-page brochure plus the full Phase-I report by sending an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org. A requirement for non-members is that their return email address must be a verifiable industry-related business email address.
NSSF is the trade association for the firearm industry. Its mission is to promote, protect and preserve hunting and the shooting sports. Formed in 1961, NSSF has a membership of thousands of manufacturers, distributors, firearm retailers, shooting ranges, sportsmen’s organizations and publishers nationwide. For more information, log on to www.nssf.org.