Several of America’s governors signed official state proclamations showing their support for National Shooting Sports Month..
August 2, 2022
NSSF Celebrates National Shooting Sports Month, Welcoming Millions of New Recreational Shooters and Hunters
NEWTOWN, Conn. — NSSF®, The Firearm Industry Trade Association, is celebrating National Shooting Sports Month® in August, a month-long recognition of the positive impacts hunting and recreational target shooting have for millions of Americans.
Developed by NSSF, National Shooting Sports Month encourages newcomers and experienced gun owners and hunters to visit a local shooting range with their handgun, rifle or shotgun to enjoy the target-shooting sports, which boasts more than 56 million adult and youth participants. All are encouraged to invite a guest with them to introduce them to responsible firearm ownership.
“National Shooting Sports Month is recognition and celebration of the vital contributions of recreational target shooting, hunting and responsible gun ownership,” said NSSF President and CEO Joe Bartozzi. “It is also a month in which we recognize the contributions the firearm industry makes to communities, states and our nation. This is a $70 billion industry that provides over 375,000 jobs. Our industry has welcomed increasing numbers of women and minority gun owners. We are proud to welcome responsible gun owners from all walks of life to celebrate our shared heritage.”
Several of America’s governors signed official state proclamations showing their support for National Shooting Sports Month, recognizing the vital role the firearm and ammunition industry fulfills within their respective states. Governors highlighted the contributions of job creation, economic impact and conservation efforts through Pittman-Robertson excise tax payments, paid by firearm and ammunition manufacturers.
Governors celebrating National Shooting Sports Month by official proclamation so far include:
- Alabama Republican Governor Kay Ivey
- Arizona Republican Governor Doug Ducey
- Florida Republican Governor Ron DeSantis
- Georgia Republican Governor Brian Kemp
- Idaho Republican Governor Brad Little
- Indiana Republican Governor Eric Holcomb
- Iowa Republican Governor Kim Reynolds
- Maryland Republican Governor Larry Hogan
- Mississippi Republican Governor Tate Reeves
- Missouri Republican Governor Mike Parson
- Montana Republican Governor Greg Gianforte
- North Dakota Republican Governor Doug Burgum
- Ohio Republican Governor Mike DeWine
- South Carolina Republican Governor Henry McMaster
- South Dakota Republican Governor Kristi Noem
- Tennessee Republican Governor Bill Lee
- Texas Republican Governor Greg Abbott
- Virginia Republican Governor Glenn Youngkin
- West Virginia Republican Governor Jim Justice
- Wisconsin Democratic Governor Tony Evers
- Wyoming Republican Governor Mark Gordon
As National Shooting Sports Month kicks off, NSSF offers industry members at recreational shooting ranges and target courses a Promotional Toolkit, where businesses can download social media promotions, logos, and guidance to promote National Shooting Sports Month. Firearm ranges and retailers can help celebrate recreational shooting and spread the word about mentoring through the +ONE® Movement and spending shared time at the range.
The National Shooting Sports Foundation is the trade association for the firearm industry. Its mission is to promote, protect and preserve hunting and the shooting sports. Formed in 1961, NSSF has a membership of thousands of manufacturers, distributors, firearms retailers, shooting ranges, sportsmen’s organizations and publishers nationwide. For more information, visit nssf.org.